What Flat Wipes (Lint-Free Dry Wipes) Does MicroCare Offer?
MicroCare offers a full line of lint-free wipes. These range in size from 1×2 inches (2×5 cm) to 12×16 inches (30x40cm). Other options include different types of paper or fabric, different packaging, clean room packaging, sealed edges for reduced linting, and even prewashed options. Custom sizes also are available. All this means you get faster, safer, cheaper cleaning — and better quality — all at the same time.
The full list of choices for these strong, flat, sheet wipes can be a little complex, but in general they are engineered for the toughest cleaning applications.
Flat Wipe Specifications
There are many factors to consider when selecting a flat wipe. Here’s a brief description of the specifications and their implications:
- Material. This describes the type of fiber and method of manufacturing used in the material. The wipes come in three basic classes. First, there are the nonwoven, hydroentangled fabrics which are very clean and very strong. Since they are made without glues or binders they don’t leave residues on the surface being cleaned. The second category includes the knitted materials, usually polyester, which can be very clean and strong. The last category includes foam wipes, cotton wipes and other miscellaneous wipes for more specialized applications.
- Weight. The heavier the weight the stronger and more absorptive the wipe will be.
- Pre- Washed. Some fabrics can be pre-washed in a giant washing machine. This eliminates loose fiber and dust and, while adding cost, makes the wipes cleaner.
- Edges. Shredded fibers on the edges of a wipe can deposit contamination. The best (cleanest) process is to seal the edges with heat.
- Particulate. This is a standardized lab test of cleanliness. Lower scores are cleaner. The result is stated as the number of particles or fibers greater than one-half micron in size, per square meter.
- Absorbency. This is another standardized lab test. Higher scores are better. The result is stated as the amount of liquid, usually water, absorbed by one square meter of the fabric.
- ESD-Packaging. Some customers require their wipes to be packaged in ESD-safe wrappings. This is a good idea in static- sensitive areas, but it adds to the cost. Not normally used for stencil wiping, for example.
- Packed in a Clean Room. For maximum cleanliness, some of the MicroCare wipes are cut and packaged in a clean room environment. Normally these wipes are used in sensitive aerospace applications.
- Clean Room Packaged. Many customers require their wipes to be packaged in the double-bag clean room style packaging. In this instance, the outer bag is used for shipping and is removed prior to moving the products into the clean room.
- On a side note, please remember that solder paste is made with lead, and skin contact with lead is not recommended. Users should be using gloves which protect them from contact with the lead. These are made by a number of different firms, and engineers should check that the gloves are comfortable, powder-free, ESD-safe and inexpensive. MicroCare does not provide solvent-safe gloves.